- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled margarine or butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries or dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. With a pastry blender cut in the chilled margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture and set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, pumpkin, and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges.
- Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, brush tops with additional milk. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm with berry butter.
- For berry butter, in a small bowl combine dried cranberries or dried blueberries and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain well and finely chop berries. Stir together the 1/2 margarine or butter, powdered sugar, and the cranberries or blueberries. Cover and let chill at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.