Pumpkin Spice Biscotti
Pair your morning coffee with a batch of homemade pumpkin spice biscotti for a Fall treat. (Recipe Courtesy: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
Yield: 13 biscotti cookies
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds, baking powder, pumpkin spice and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to incorporate. The dough will be soft.
- Flour your hands a bit and lightly knead the dough in the bowl until it forms a cohesive ball. Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined baking sheet and form it into a large log that measures 12 1/2-inch long and 4 1/2 inches wide. The height should be about 1/2-inches high. Brush the top of the biscotti log with the melted butter and sprinkle on the demerara.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 25 minutes, until the center of the biscotti is firm to the touch and the edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Decrease the oven’s temperature to 300 degrees F. Using a serrated knife, cut the biscotti into 1-inch slices. Set the biscotti on their side and transfer back to the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes. At the 10-minute mark, flip the biscotti and bake for 10 more minutes. Allow to cool completely.