Put some variety into fall desserts with this recipe for Pumpkin Tapioca Pudding from Marc Matsumoto of NoRecipes. Marc shares this recipe in a full post at the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup small pearl tapioca (not quick cook)
- 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 cup kabocha pumpkin, roughly cut into 1/4" cubes
- Bring the milk and sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Add the tapioca and stir continuously for the first five minutes to prevent clumping. Continue cooking, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the tapioca pearls are almost completely translucent and the mixture is very thick.
- Add the coconut milk and turn down the heat to low. Continue cooking until the tapioca pearls are completely translucent.
- In the meantime, steam the pumpkin until soft enough to mash. Mash the pumpkin. When the tapioca is done, stir in the mashed pumpkin. Serve hot or chilled.
- You can garnish the pudding by using a vegetable peeler to peel thin cross sections of the pumpkin and deep-frying them until crisp.