Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Recipe by Annie Copps of The Daily Dish. Combine the usual cake ingredients of butter, sugar, eggs and flour and add pumpkin puree and warming spices such as cinnamon, or ginger to the batter. And for the filling whip together cream cheese and maple syrup… of course you know what you'll say when you pop one into your mouth. Whoopie!
Total time: 40 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Ingredients for the Pies
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted, 1cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- Ingredients for the filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese chilled
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- A few pinches salt
- Heat oven to 350.°
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a standing mixer with whisk attachment, mix together butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs, pumpkin puree, spices, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a spatula, fold in the flour.
- With an ice cream scoop, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- In a standing mixer or electric beater, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Add sugar, salt and vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.