Vegans don't have to miss out on traditional Summer meals with Laura Theodore's all-American Summer recipes for vegans like this purple coleslaw recipe.
- 4 cups grated purple cabbage (about ½ medium head)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3 heaping tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or maple sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds or gomasio, for garnish (optional)
- Put the cabbage, carrots, vegan mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Season with pepper.
- Cover and chill 2 to 4 hours. Before serving, sprinkle the top of the salad with sesame seeds or gomasio, if using.