Queso Fundido with Squash and Zucchini
Similar to a cheese fondue, this dip features vegetables for a hearty appetizer. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bottleneck yellow squash, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Monterey Jack, shredded
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Tortilla chips or soft tortillas, for serving
- In an oven proof pan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the yellow onion, squash and zucchini. Sprinkle the zucchini with a few liberal pinches of salt. This will help with the squash releasing some of its water. Cook the squash and onion mixture, stirring regularly, for about 20 minutes, until it’s caramelized and light brown in color. Mix in the hot sauce and give it a taste. Adjust the salt according to taste, keeping in mind how salty the cheese you’ll be using is.
- Spread the squash and onion mixture out into an even layer. Top with the cheese and transfer to under the broiler for about 5 minutes, watching it regularly, until the cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle the top with a bit of cilantro and serve with chips or soft tortillas.