Quinoa Salad with Cucumber, Tomato, and Mint
Recipe adapted by Catherine Nash and reprinted with permission from "The Wheat-Free Cook" by Jacqueline Mallorca
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 cup red or yellow quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded roasted chicken
- 1 cucumber (about 8 ounces) peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped, preferably heirloom
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 8 radishes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt and cayenne pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. The grains will turn transparent, and the white germ ring will show. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, radishes, mint, and parsley. Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Pour over the quinoa and vegetables, and mix gently but thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve at room temperature.