Rainbow Vegetable Stew
This delicious stew is flavored with fresh herbs and a touch of honey, and finished with tangy goat cheese. Serve the stew over Israeli or regular couscous. Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 large sweet potato diced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with their liquid or 7 – 8 fresh tomatoes, diced, with their liquid
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen cut green beans trimmed and cut into thirds, if fresh
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- 20 fresh basil leaves chopped, or 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and tomatoes and bring it to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer the mixture for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Meanwhile, prepare the couscous, if you are making it.) Add the green beans and herbs and simmer it for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the salt and honey. Serve it immediately, topped with crumbled feta cheese (optional), or refrigerate it for up to 2 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months. Add the feta when you are ready to serve it.