Ramen: Soup from Japan
Throughout the month of March, PBS KIDS will showcase games, printable activities, and learning resources that shine a spotlight on global cultures. Keep up with the latest around-the-world adventures on PBS KIDS and if you liked these dishes, try making more rice and noodle dishes.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces mushrooms, preferably shiitake
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package of Ramen or Udon Noodles
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- For the eggs: Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes. Promptly remove eggs and place in an ice bath. Drain well and let cool before peeling and halving.
- For the soup: Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth, mushrooms, soy sauce and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until mushrooms have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in Udon noodles until loosened and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, carrot and chives until the spinach begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Serve, garnished with halved eggs.