Raspberry Almond Shortcake
Recipe by Denise Santoro Lincoln
- Ingredients for shortcakes:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Ingredients for topping:
- 4 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted almond slivers for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and almonds in a large bowl. Whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Cut in the butter (you can either do this by hand with a pastry cutter or with your fingers. If you have a food processor, just pulse about ten times).
- Add the almond extract to the milk and then add to the flour mixture.
- Gently incorporate the milk into the flour. Be sure not to over mix as doing so will make the flour rubbery. If the mixture remains too wet to properly handle, add a little more flour until you can pat the dough firmly into a round disk.
- Cut with a biscuit cutter (if you don't have one, you can use a jar or ramekin) and place onto a baking dish or large cast iron pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Mix berries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Beat cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until whipped (but not too long or you'll have butter).
- When ready to serve, slice each shortcake in half. Top the bottom with a healthy dollop of whipped cream and then cover with berries. Top with more whipped cream and lay the top of the shortcake against the berries. Serve.