- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried small red beans soaked and drained
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. Andouille halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add Andouille and cook until golden and crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer Andouille to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beans and 4 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until soft, about 40 to 50 minutes. Add sausage back in to heat, stir. Serve with cornbread.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and add carrots and onions. Return to oven and cook until meat is very tender and vegetables are tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. 15 minutes before end of cooking remove, add mushrooms to pot. Remove from oven and stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Serve topped with parsley, if using.