- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest or 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 – 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- Beat butter until creamy. Add sugar gradually and beat until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs, vanilla, lemon, and almond. Drizzle into the butter-sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir into the butter mixture.
- Remove 1/4 of the dough to a separate bowl. Adding gradually, blend the red food coloring into the remaining dough. Leave the coloring slightly streaking, to keep the cookies tender and to mimic marbled meat.
- Shape into logs or lamb loins. Chill thoroughly, or at least four hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Working quickly, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Re-chill dough, if needed, to keep it firm. Arrange on parchment paper and bake just until lightly golden around edges, or 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.