Red Pepper Pesto Pasta with Shrimp
Pesto is all the rage. Let this Red Pepper Pesto dish open the door to your pesto creativity. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- Red Pepper Pesto:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus a few more leaves as garnish
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained (from a jar)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Salt to taste
- For pasta:
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- To a blender, add all of the pesto ingredients. Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Give it a taste and add salt as needed (I added about 1/4 teaspoon). Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook per the package’s instructions. (I used whole wheat pasta and it required about 9 minutes.) Remove about 1/2 cup (you can eyeball this measurement) of pasta water and set it aside. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Pour in the pesto, along with 1/4 cup pasta water and toss until combined. Cover the pot to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When hot add the shrimp and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Divide the pasta amongst bowls or plates. Top with a few shrimp per plate and garnish with basil.