Martha Stewart's reuben sandwich recipe appears in the "Sandwich" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
Yield: 1 sandwich, 2/3 cup dressing
- 2 slices seeded rye bread, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 1 ounce Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Russian Dressing (recipe follows) or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- Pickles, for serving
- For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- For the Sandwich: Place one slice of bread on work surface and top with the corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. On the other piece of bread, spread one side with Russian dressing or spicy brown mustard. Place dressing-side down on top of Swiss cheese to form a sandwich.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to the pan and place the sandwich on top of the melted butter. Cook until golden, pressing down with a spatula, about 2 minutes. Lift the sandwich from the skillet and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Toast the other side of sandwich until golden and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with pickles.
- For the Dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.