Rice and Beans from Mexico
Throughout the month of March, PBS KIDS will showcase games, printable activities, and learning resources that shine a spotlight on global cultures. Keep up with the latest around-the-world adventures on PBS KIDS and if you liked these dishes, try making more rice and noodle dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and black beans and cook until the corn and beans are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the diced tomatoes and their juices, chili powder, cumin, rice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.