- Coarse salt and ground pepper (6-inch)
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti cooked, drained, and cooled
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms such as shiitake, soaked and drained, and finely chopped
- 4 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- Cook pasta, drain, and cool. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together ricotta, eggs, thyme, oregano, and 1 cup Parmesan. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in mushrooms.
- Using a plastic bag for filling, stuff cooled pasta shells (about 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture in each). Coat bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 2 cups tomato sauce.
- Line up manicotti in baking dish, and cover with 2 cups sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.