Riesling Braised Cabbage and Bratwurst
Bouquet garni - an herb mixture (thyme, parsley, black pepper corns, and garlic clove) is either tied together (wrapped inside a leek) or enclosed in a porous container and is cooked with a dish but removed before serving.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ea. red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ea. carrots thinly sliced
- 2 ea. celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 head of green cabbage shredded
- 1 Tbls. toasted caraway seeds
- 2 cups Riesling
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 ea. bratwurst links
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a 6 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion, carrots and celery. Cook 4-5 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking 6-8 minutes. Stir.
- Season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds. Then add wine, orange juice, chicken stock and boquet garni.
- Bring liquid to a boil.
- Add bratwurst reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook 25-30 minutes, adjust seasoning and serve.