- 5- 3/4 lbs. boneless ribeye roast (with fat) tied, if desired
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 lbs. shallots peeled and halved
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 500°. Season beef with salt and pepper. Place in a large roasting pan; roast until golden brown, 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325° . Place shallots around beef; roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of beef registers 130° for medium-rare, 1 to 1 1/4 hours more, turning shallots with tongs after about 30 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a platter; tent loosely with foil. Transfer shallots to a shallow bowl (continue cooking if not golden brown). Toss with sugar and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour off fat from pan. Add wine; cook over medium heat until syrupy, scraping bottom of pan, 2 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups water; cook until reduced by half, 4 to 8 minutes. Strain into a small bowl; whisk in mustard and any accumulated juices from beef. Season with salt and pepper; serve with beef and shallots.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 143 calories; 9.2 grams fat; 5.8 grams protein; 9.2 grams carbohydrates; 0.1 gram fiber