Roasted Squash Soup
Fizzy’s Tip: Peeled and seeded butternut squash can be found in the refrigerated section of your supermarket’s produce aisle.
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2 chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400˚. Toss the squash with two tablespoons of the oil and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the squash cubes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- While the squash cubes are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium-low heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook about 20 minutes. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and roasted squash cubes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and carefully puree the soup in small batches in a blender until smooth. Stir in the sour cream. Serve.