Roasted Tomato Basil Bisque
- 13 tomatoes various sizes (5 beefsteak, 8 roma)
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small diced onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the washed tomatoes on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Place in the oven under the boiler until blackened on all sides.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Remove the blackened skins.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat. Peel tomatoes and slice. Add tomatoes to saucepan. Remove basil leaves from stems, wash and dry. Add basil to saucepan.
- Cook over medium to low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and cool slightly. Pour entire mixture into food processor and puree thoroughly.
- Place soup mixture back into saucepan, add chicken stock (reserving a small amount) and whipping cream. Using a strainer, strain out the seeds and large pieces of basil.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the reserved chicken stock forming a thick paste.
- With a wire wisk, slowly mix the flour mixture into the soup until thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with homemade croutons or bruschetta bread.