- 1 large sweet potato peeled
- 1 rutabaga peeled
- 1 large onion peeled
- 4 parsnips peeled
- 2 Yukon potatoes peeled
- 2 cups kale cut into medium sized pieces
- 2 cups collard greens cut into medium sized pieces
- 3 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Carefully slice all of the root vegetables using a Japanese mandolin set to slice at 1/8-inch thickness. Make sure to keep each vegetable separated into neat stacks.
- In a medium sized stovetop, ovenproof casserole layer half of each type of root vegetables, starting with the sweet potatoes and working your up to the Yukon potatoes. After half of each root vegetables has been layered, add half of the collard greens and kale. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Repeat the layering process using the remaining ingredients.
- When layering is complete slowly add the vegetable stock. Cover, but make sure to leave the lid slightly open, and cook over very low heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup fresh cheese just before serving.
This segment appears in show #3214.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2008 Michel Nischan