- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries* (or dried currants)
- 3 tbsp. turbinado sugar (for rolling)
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg, salt, and blueberries and mix well.
- Gradually add the rye flour, mixing together until a rough ball can be assembled. Try not to overmix or handle the dough too much.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to roll the dough into 2 logs, about 2 inches in diameter and wrap these in parchment paper. Refrigerate the logs for a least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the turbinado sugar onto a flat surface and carefully roll the chilled logs on top, pressing the sugar into the outer surface of the logs.
- Slice into 1/8 inch rounds and place 1 inch apart on a lightly buttered cookie sheet (you can also use a piece of parchment paper). Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden at the edges.
- Lift carefully with metal spatula and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (They will be easier to handle once cooled).