Rye Plum Crisp
Combine tart seasonal plums, rye flakes, and ice cream for a melt-in-your-mouth dessert. (Recipe Courtesy of Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes Blog)
Yield: Makes one 8 x 8-inch crisp; Serves 6
- For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds firm yet ripe plums (about 8 plums), pitted and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons tapioca flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the Crisp:
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick (3 ounces) pound cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup rye flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss together the plums, light brown sugar, tapioca flour, pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Set aside while you make the crisp topping.
- To a medium bowl, add the rye flour, white granulated sugar and salt; mix until combined. Using a box grater, grate the cold butter atop the flour mixture and using your fingers, break up the butter throughout the flour mixture until it resembles pea-sized bits. Add the rye flakes and toss.
- Pour the plum filling, along with any bits of leftover sugar and juices, to a 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Top the filling with the rye flake mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden browned.