Salsa De Tomate Asado – Roasted Tomato Sauce
Chef Zarela Martinez makes Salsa de Tomate Asado for Julia Child on her classic show "Cooking with Master Chefs."
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium onion unpeeled, halved crosswise
- 8 large garlic cloves unpeeled
- 3 to 4 large ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds) unpeeled
- Pour cream into the saucepan and simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, set the griddle over high heat until a drop of water sizzles on contact. Spread the onion and garlic on the hot surface and brown on all sides, turning frequently until the garlic is softened and the onion is partly blackened and fragrant. Set them aside. Then pan-roast the tomatoes, turning several times until blistered all over. Set aside.
- Peel the onion, scraping away any extremely charred bits. Cut out and discard the root and then cut the onion into chunks and drop into the blender. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the blender. Peel the tomatoes directly over the blender (leaving on a little of the charred skin) and drop them in, seeds and all. Puree on medium speed until smooth.
- Finishing the Sauce: Stir the puree into the reduced cream. Season with salt and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce loses its raw taste.
- Ahead-of-Time Note: The sauce can be made a day or two ahead, covered, and refrigerated.