Salted Coconut Caramel
Swap out butter for coconut milk for a vegan version of Salted Coconut Caramel. Drizzle it over your favorite desserts. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes blog)
Yield: Makes 1 1/4 cups caramel
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (15-ounce) can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- To a medium sauté pan, add the brown sugar. Add the vanilla bean (or extract) to the sugar and pour in the coconut milk. Turn the heat to medium and allow the mixture to reach a gentle boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon, skim off any of the extra coconut fat that may be on the surface. If you want, you can even run the caramel through a sieve. (I did this extra step and didn’t regret it.) Mix in the salt and transfer to container to cool. The caramel will thicken as it cools. Store in the fridge. Just keep in mind that it needs to be reheated when it comes out of the fridge so it has that silky smooth texture again.