This delightfully simple sauce from the Basque region may be used for a multitude of different dishes. It is normally served with roasted or grilled poultry, meat, or fish.
- 8 Roma tomatoes
- 2 green pimentos
- 1 red pimento
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Espelette pepper (can substitute cayenne pepper)
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes, pimentos, onion, and garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the pimentos and garlic and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.