Savory Italian Plum Pie
- 1 cup Italian plums
- 2 medium sweet purple onions quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- Pre-bake pie crust.
- Slice plums in half lengthwise and remove pit; chop coarsely. Pour boiling water over plums just to cover and let sit 20 minutes; drain.
- Saute onions for about 10 minutes and then drain off remaining liquid. Add balsamic vinegar.
- Continue cooking onions until the balsamic vinegar is nicely reduced. This should take around 20 to 30 minutes over low heat. Add drained plums and stir in.
- Add walnuts, honey and mustard to the pan and gently mix. Place mixture in pie crust and crumble blue cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese melts and barely begins to brown. Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Enjoy with a glass of port and good friends!