Savory Pumpkin Bread Pudding
This version of bread pudding ensures you won't wind up with dried out bread in this recipe that adds some pumpkin too! Marc Matsumoto of NoRecipes shares three tips for making bread pudding in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 cups Kabocha pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1/4" cubes
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups baguette, torn into rough pieces
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1.5 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and until fragrant. Add the Kabocha, and fry until tender. Add the thyme then salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cream, milk, eggs and salt to combine. Add the bread, sautéed pumpkin and parsley, and then stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Generously butter a 9” x 9” x 2” baking dish. Add half the shredded cheese into the pumpkin and bread mixture and stir to distribute. Empty the contents of the bowl into the baking dish and spread the mixture evenly. Cover with the remaining cheese and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the middle reads 155 degrees F. If the top hasn’t gotten browned and crispy, turn on the broiler and broil until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.