Enjoy a "breakfast in one bite", with April Bloomfield's recipe for a British classic: scotch eggs! From PBS Food's The Mind of a Chef.
- 20 soft-boiled eggs (cooked for 7 minutes in boiling water)
- For the pork mix:
- 49 oz pork butt
- 21 oz salted fatback
- 1 recipe sage paste (see below)
- 1 cup filone breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons kosher salt
- For the sage paste:
- 1.5 oz sage
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 teaspoon Olave organic EVOO
- For the breading:
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup fine filone crumbs
- 2 cups course filone crumbs
- Portion the pork mix into 4 oz balls.
- Using your hands, carefully flatten out each portion into a pancake, making sure the thickness is even all around.
- Place one of the soft-boiled eggs on top of the sausage and wrap it around the egg.
- Continue with the remaining eggs and refrigerate until they are cold.
- Place all the breading ingredients into separate bowls.
- Take each farce wrapped egg out of the refrigerator and proceed with the following steps:
- Dredge the egg first in flour, then coat with an egg wash, and cover the egg with a layer of the fine breadcrumbs.
- Next repeat the egg wash and then coat a second time with a layer of the course breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate again until cold.
- Fry in a 350F fryer for 9 minutes and let it rest for one minute. The yolk should be runny but warm inside.