Seared Albacore Tuna Salad with Avocado, Gypsy Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Shelling Beans, and Green Olive Vinaigrette
A fresh and filling salad that is perfect on hot summer nights.
- 1 pint Butter or Cranberry beans fresh or high-quality canned
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Gypsy or other mild peppers seeded and cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 6 oz albacore tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 tablespoons green olives pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil torn by hand
- 1 cup arugula
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- If using fresh beans, remove them from their pods and put them in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, 1/4 cup of the basil, and enough water or chicken stock to cover by one inch. Bring the liquid to a boil, then simmer covered over medium-low heat until the beans are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Season the beans with salt and pepper.
- Roast the peppers with a little olive oil, salt and pepper until soft and browned.
- Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper. In a sauté pan over high heat, add the canola oil and sear the tuna on both sides until browned, yet still very rare inside.
- In a bowl mix the avocado, tomatoes, olives, peppers, and beans with a little of their cooking juices. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Tear or cut the tuna into chunks and mix with the other ingredients and give the salad a little time to marinate.
- When ready to serve, place 1/4 of the arugula in the center of each plate. Spoon the marinated albacore salad into the center of the bed of arugula.