Shredded Kale Caesar Salad
This kale-based spin on a classic Caesar salad is sure to be a hit on your table. Perfect for a Summer dinner or party. Watch a fun video from Kitchen Vignettes featuring a cameo from Lucy the Dog!
- For the Salad:
- 1 extra-large bunch of kale or 2 regular-sized bunches
- 1 to 2 cups croutons or chopped cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz freshly grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- For the Dressing:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch parsley (or 2 small bunches)
- 1 small jar of capers, drained (about 2 to 3 tbsp.)
- 3 anchovy fillets
- Zest of 1 organic lemon
- Juice of two organic lemons
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Rinse and dry the kale. Roll up the leaves tightly, 3 or 4 at a time, and shred (chiffonade) them as finely as possible. You can remove the stems before you do this if you wish. Place the shredded kale in a large salad bowl.
- On a cutting board, chop the garlic, capers, parsley, anchovies to a pulp (a mortar & pestle will also do the trick).
- Transfer this paste to a medium bowl and add the egg yolk, mustard, sherry vinegar, lemon juice and zest. Mix together well.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil, pouring it in a thin, slow stream. Whisk well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing on the shredded kale and toss. If you find the dressing to be too much for one salad, immediately refrigerate the unused amount and use it within 2 to 3 days.
- Let the salad stand for 15 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld together.
- Garnish with grated cheese and cherry tomatoes or croutons.