Shrimp “Havana Cafe” Style
This shrimp "Havana Cafe" style recipe appears courtesy of Havana Cafe in Phoenix, AZ. Watch a review of this restaurant from Check, Please! Arizona.
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 1 1/3 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 1/3 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 bunch of crisp green onions (green tops only sliced for garnish)
- 24 to 28 large shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 cup shell fish stock or sub bottled clam broth
- 1/2 cup dry sherry wine (not cooking sherry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a frying pan on medium high. Add olive oil to pan. Just before the smoking point add the onions. Stir to prevent sticking or burning.
- Add the shrimp and stir so both sides color a slight bit. Add the garlic. Stir, but watch carefully as not to brown the garlic. De-gaze the pan with the Sherry wine. Sprinkle the flour over the shrimp and onions. Stir.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for several minutes until slightly thickened and the liquid is somewhat reduced.
- Serve over cooked white rice.