Simple Rice Pilaf
This simple rice pilaf recipe from Martha Stewart is a delicious side dish made with onions, bay leaves, and coarse salt.
Martha Stewart makes this rice pilaf recipe in the "Rice" episode of "Martha Stewart's Cooking School."
- 1 1/2 cups stock (chicken, vegetable, or beef) or water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion or shallot
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 small dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bring stock to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, bay leaf, and salt and stir well to coat each grain with butter mixture. Cook until rice is fragrant and starting to turn translucent, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock and return to a simmer. Transfer to oven, cover, and bake 16 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover and let steam for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
This rice pilaf recipe appears in the "Rice" episode of "Martha Stewart's Cooking School." Visit the episode guide to watch a preview and get a cooking tip.