Get the Smoked Fish recipe featured in Family Ingredients on PBS.
- Opah belly, cut into even strips, about 1 inch wide and 1 inch thick
- 2 cups shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 inch ginger, skinned and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 small limes, washed and sliced
- kiawe wood (Hawaiian mesquite)
- Meat smoker
- Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl with cover. Mix well and add opah belly. Place in fridge overnight.
- Heat smoker to 200 degrees. Lay fish evenly on smoker rack. Smoke for 2.5 hours or until the fish develops a “bark” or a slightly browned and golden outer layer.