Sour Cherry Chocolate Scones
Bake Sour Cherry Chocolate Scones for a tart and rich baked treat. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme from the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 pound sour cherries or regular cherries, pitted and halved
- 6 ounces chocolate chunks or chips or morsels
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus about 2 tablespoons more for topping
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, as topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Using a box grater, grate the butter into the dry ingredients and mix quickly, breaking up the butter so it resembles the size of small peas.
- Add the cherries and toss so they’re evenly distributed throughout the flour. Next, do the same with the chocolate chunks or chips.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and in one batch, add the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix it together until it forms a shaggy ball. Drop the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead a few times, being sure to not over handle it, which will result in tough scones. Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch thick disk. Using a knife, cut the scones into 8 equal triangles. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and put in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. At this time, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush the tops with the buttermilk and sprinkle with a bit of turbinado sugar. Transfer the scones to the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean and the scones are golden brown.