Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This cake can be frozen for up to six months, whole or in slices. For single pieces, slice the cake, and wrap each in plastic before freezing; thaw at room temperature.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 2 Hours
Yield: Serves 12
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Walnut Topping (In a small bowl stir together ¾ cup chopped walnuts, ¾ cup sugar, and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter and flour a 9-inch nonstick tube pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and baking soda.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three additions alternately with sour-cream mixture in two, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until moistened.
- Spread a third of the batter in pan; sprinkle with a third of topping. Repeat twice, ending with topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes. Turn out of pan; cool, top side up, on a rack.
Tips/TechniquesNote: For a little more taste and texture, some of the topping is layered with the butter.