Southern Style Collard Greens
Slow cook this Southern style collard greens recipe for an down home dinner idea. Food blogger Jenna Weber shares her key collard green secrets in this easy-to-prepare side dish recipe.
- 2 large bunches collards, roughly chopped and stems discarded
- 3 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 2-4 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- hot sauce to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until just done but not quite crispy yet. Add the onion and collards, and sauté in the hot grease until they wilt.
- Pour the water in the pot --- it should just cover the collards. Add the brown sugar, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt and a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 ½ - 4 hours.
- Season with additional salt, hot sauce and pepper to taste.