Spaghetti alla Carbonara Piccantina
Erica from Washington, D.C. submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings
- 1 package regular spaghetti
- half teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup blend of hard cheeses--reggiano, robusto, parmeggiano
- Half pound of thickly sliced bacon (thawed)
- Cut bacon into 2 cm squares. Mix the eggs and cheeses until creamy. Add sprinkling of salt and pepper on top of cheese mixture.
- Bring water with teaspoon of salt to a boil and add pasta. At same time, put olive oil and chili flakes in frying pan.
- Add bacon to pan and cook until done as you prefer (6-10 minutes).
- When pasta is al dente (done enough that there is no white left when you bite it in half, but not soggy), drain and put back into the pot. As soon as the bacon is done add bacon, oil, and chili flakes to the noodles--pour cheese mixture on top and stir. No need to heat, just mix until egg looks cooked.