Spaghetti and Meatballs with Parmigiano-Reggiano
Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onions finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbs. dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 400° F. Cook onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, add the onion/garlic mixture and all the other ingredients. Combine everything by hand until well mixed. Firmly form 2”meatballs by hand. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Brown meatballs and place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes in the oven.
- Sauce: Cook onions and garlic in oil in a pot over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes with juice reserved in a separate bowl. Simmer sauce uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened for 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and half of the reserved liquid until sauce reduces for 5 minutes. *Add parsley and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top as garnish.
- Putting it all together: Cook a 1 lb box of spaghetti to al dente, drain, and plate it. Place a few spoonfuls of sauce on top of the noodles followed by meatballs. Finish it off with a couple tablespoons of parsley and grated cheese.