Spaghetti with Three Tomatoes
The variations that each cook brings to his or her favorite tomato sauce recipe are innumerable; everyone seems to have some trick that makes all the difference between a successful sauce and one that doesn't measure up, whether it's a certain herb, a splash of wine, or, as in this recipe, three different types of tomatoes for a rustic, complex flavor.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 35 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil (from oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes halved
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Heat 2 tablespoons tomato oil in a large saucepan over mediumheat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes with juice and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer gently over medium, stirring occasionally and breaking up canned tomatoes until thick, 15 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes; simmer until soft, 10 minutes.
- Drain spaghetti, reserving 1 cup pasta water; return pasta to pot. Add tomato mixture; season with salt and pepper. Toss, adding pasta water as desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: Per Serving: 645 calories; 18.6 grams fat; 18.2 grams protein; 103.2 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams fiber