- 2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 lb. cottage cheese
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/8 cup Romano cheese (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 small bunch green onions or 1 small nion chopped fine
- 1 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 1 lbbox phyllo dough
- 1/2 lb. butter
- Salt to taste
- White or black pepper to taste
- Allow spinach to stand at room temperature to defrost completely (do not soak in water) in strainer. Squeeze dry and combine with remaining ingredients.
- Allow phyllo dough to stand at room temperature a few hours before ready to prepare or in refrigerator overnight. Do not open package until filling is all mixed and butter is melted.
- When ready to assemble, open box of phyllo dough and wrap. Cut it into thirds. Since the dough can dry out fast, you may wish to use 1/3 portion at a time. Wrap the remaining dough in wax paper and/or plastic wrap and put in refrigerator til you are ready to use it.
- For each triangle, brush half the phyllo with melted butter; fold over the other half to make a strip about 3 inches wide. Brush with butter.
- Place 1 tsp spinach-cheese mixture at one end of each strip, folding strip diagonally (as you would fold a flag) until triangles are formed. Brush top with butter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
Tips/TechniquesTo freeze: place unbaked buttered spanakopita in airtight plastic container, separating layers with wax paper. You will be able to remove as many as you wish one at a time. Bake as above.