Recipe courtesy of AUNI, the Agaston Urban Nutrition Initiative
When Michele Obama challenged American schools to create healthy cafeteria recipes for a national competition, many Philadelphians sprang into action. WHYY Friday Arts chronicles the coming together of numerous forces, including chef Daniel McLaughlin, the non-profit AUNI, the Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative, and the Philly children and teens who participate in AUNI's cooking clubs, to create a delicious and healthy menu that any school would be proud to serve.
Photo Credit: Flickr
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chipotle pepper
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
- Stir in water, chipotle peppers and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.