- 5 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 large white onion (vidalia is best)
- 2 ounces of blue or Roquefort cheese
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheese
- 4 ounces Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups of half & half
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter (do not substitute)
- Parmesan cheese parsely flakes and paprika to garnish
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- Keep potatoes in COLD water so that they don’t discolor. Drain when ready to use.
- Thinly slice onion. Saute in 2 tablespoons of butter until transparent.
- Make a light roux by sauteing the flour and remaining butter in a pan. Add the peppers and salt to the roux. Add the half & half. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheeses and keep stirring until they are melted.
- Grease a lasagna pan and place 1/2 of the potatoes in the pan (press down).
- Layer with sauteed onions and 1/2 of the cheese sauce.
- Cover with the remaining potatoes. Then cover with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Garnish the top with grated parmesan, parsley flakes and paprika all over.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours (depending on the oven).