Enhance the texture of a normal recipe by baking and adding spiced chickpeas to these nachos. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- Corn tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- In a medium skillet, add the olive oil. When warm, add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the chickpeas and season with the spices and a few pinches of salt. Add more olive oil if needed, I added a tablespoon more. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. On a foil-lined baking sheet, add one even layer of chips. Add half of the chickpeas and half of the cheese. Top with another layer of chips and again top it with the rest of the chickpeas and cheese. Transfer to the oven to bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is evenly melted. Sprinkle the nachos with minced tomato, black olives, minced cilantro and green onion.