Spiced Hot Chocolate
Enjoy spiced hot chocolate with a few extra spices for added flavor: cinnamon, star anise and cayenne.(Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 3/4 cups whole milk or almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted in a double-boiler
- To a small saucepan, add the milk, cinnamon stick, star anise, pinch of salt and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until combined. Bring the milk mixture to a very warm temperature. Immediately turn the heat off and cover. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave. Remove the star anise and cinnamon stick from the milk mixture and pour in the chocolate. Turn the flame to medium-low and whisk in the melted chocolate until combined.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.