Spiced Salmon with Fennel and Tomato
The combination of the sweet tomato spooned over warm baked salmon and served with rice seems to be please everyone at home.
- 1-1/2 lb. bone-in salmon steak cut in half at the bone
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion minced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat the fish steaks dry using a paper towel. Rub the fish on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and turmeric. Place the fish steaks on a baking tray and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and light brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, fennel, coriander, and remaining teaspoon salt. Stir and cook until the tomatoes break down, about 3 minutes. You may add a little water to the pan if necessary to prevent the spices from sticking. Taste, and add more salt if needed. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the cooked tomato mixture over the fish steaks and bake for 15 minutes, until the fish is firm on the outside and warm through in the center. Serve immediately.