Spicy Beer Cheese Dip
This Spicy Beer Cheese Dip is spiked with jalapeño and light beer, and is made with a roux similar to macaroni and cheese. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons allpurpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup pilsner or light beer
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes of Worchestershire
- 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded and diced, plus a few more slices as garnish
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) shredded monterey jack
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- To a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, melt the butter. When melted, stir in the allpurpose flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk and whisk until combined and thickened, about 30 seconds to a 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and, again, give it a good whisk. Cook the sauce for an additional minute or so. During this time it will thicken slightly.
- Mix in the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, jalapeño, egg yolk; stir until combined. Then, add the shredded cheese and mix until melted. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to your liking (I needed about 1/4 teaspoon of salt).
- Pour the beer cheese into a serving bowl, garnish with a few slices of jalapeño and serve alongside tortilla chips.