Spicy Brussels Sprouts Slaw
Berkeley brussels salad gives the flavor and crunch you'll need for a side salad or a main dish. Recipe shared by Emily Sarlatte on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
- 4 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (cut sprouts in half and slice very thin)
- 1/2 head of radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 green apple, cut into match sticks
- 3 radish, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup red onion, small dice
- 2 Tbsp chives, thinly cut
- 2 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup almonds, thinly sliced and toasted
- Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp shallot
- 1 Tbsp agave
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Instructions for red wine vinaigrette:Add all ingredients, minus the olive oil, to blender or kitchen mixer.
- Blend until smooth, slowly drizzle in olive oil to emulsify. Taste. Adjust seasoning if desired
- Assembling spicy brussels sprouts slaw:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, except for the almonds.
- Add 3/4 cup dressing, more if desired.
- Plate and garnish with almonds.
Tips/TechniquesTo clean Brussels sprouts, pull off and discard any damaged or yellowed outer leaves, trim the stems, soak in cold water and drain. Cut the Brussels sprouts as desired for each recipe. Be mindful to not overcook the Brussels sprouts; just cook only until crisp and tender because they can develop a sulfur smell that can be very unpleasant when overcooked (one of the reasons many people are turned off by them to begin with!)