Spicy Cucumber Tomato Salad
Spicy and nutty with a citrusy punch from the Sichuan pepper, this cucumber and tomato salad is loaded with potent flavors. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
Yield: Makes a Side Salad for 2
- 2 teaspoons doubanjiang (chinese spicy bean paste)
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon black vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 7 ounces cucumbers (2 japanese or 3 lebanese)
- 4.2 ounces tomatoes (2 small tomatoes)
- To make the dressing, add the doubanjiang, soy sauce, sesame oil, black vinegar and ground sichuan pepper to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Wash and trim the ends off of the cucumbers.
- Use a rolling pin to pound the cucumbers. You don't want to hit them so hard that they turn to mush, but you want them to start crumbing into long strips. Break up any remaining large pieces with your hands and then add them to the bowl with the dressing.
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges and add them to the bowl as well.
- Toss to coat evenly and adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve immediately.