Spicy Pancetta Pizza with Camembert, Arugula and Caramelized Shallots
Food blogger Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog recommends getting dough from a neighborhood pizza place or baking it from scratch for this spicy pancetta pizza recipe.
Yield: 1 twelve-inch pizza
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, diced
- 1 12-inch pizza dough
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese (or another soft, ripened cheese)
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- In a small bowl, combine the red pepper flakes and two tablespoons of olive oil. Allow to sit for 1 hour. If you time it correctly, you can just spoon it out to put it on the pizza but if you're making it ahead of time, I recommend straining the oil, discarding the pepper flakes and set the spiced oil aside.
- Meanwhile, add two tablespoons olive oil to a small saucepan, set over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and cook them, until caramelized, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the pancetta and cook until lightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bed of paper towels to drain.
- Place your pizza stone, if using, on the middle rack in your oven. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. To assemble the pizza, stretch and turn the dough, until it reaches the diameter of 10 to 12-inches. Go slowly, to avoid any tears in the dough. If you're having trouble, let the dough rest on the counter and then try again. Also, using your palms and fingers to flatten the thick parts of the dough definitely helps.
- If you're using a pizza stone, dust a pizza peel with a teaspoon of corn meal. If you're using a baking sheet, do the same thing: 1 teaspoon of corn meal on the baking sheet. Place the pizza dough on top, reshaping it, if needed.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and top liberally with the Camembert cheese. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden brown and the cheese is melty.
- When the pizza is ready, top with the reserved caramelized shallot, pancetta, fresh arugula, zest of lemon and a drizzle of the reserved chili oil. Slice up and serve.